Benefits of Broadband
UK businesses have come to value the Internet as a business tool. A broadband connection will help you to do much more with the time you spend online.
The benefits of broadband are speed and convenience. A wireless broadband connection can carry over ten times more information than a narrowband (dial-up) connection.
With broadband there's no need to dial up and wait for your modem to establish a connection. Simply launch your browser and/or e-mail software and you're online.
For small and home offices, a broadband service has the added benefit of allowing use of the Internet and the phone simultaneously and, if PCs are networked via a router or a wireless network, to allow more than one PC to share the connection.
If your business needs to access web pages instantly or receive real-time news reports or financial bulletins, send and receive large e-mail attachments or have fast access to a hosted web server or a hosted back-up or e-commerce service, then a broadband connection is essential.
The Business Case for Broadband
Using broadband opens the door to a range of fast-developing business and communications tools.
- Broadband costs are fixed enabling better budgetary planning
- The always-on nature of broadband connections means that information (e-mail, news and business bulletins, stock quotes and updates) comes direct to your desktop as it's sent. .. you don't need to dial up and download!
- Less employee 'dead time' waiting for downloads or emails.
- Using a fast, efficient broadband service will allow employees to respond more promptly to customer needs as well as to deal more effectively with customers and suppliers via online communications.
- Connect more internal users with no increase in costs.
- Work collaboratively in real time with networked or web-based audio/videoconferencing or web-based meeting and planning software.
- Broadband enables outsourcing, or the use of application service providers (ASPs) which can rent out ecommerce tools such as web site building, EDI, CRM and data mining.
- A broadband connection allows you constant connectivity with, and control over, your web hosting service.
- Spread your business's reach by using broadband to get involved in online procurement, online auctions and B2B exchanges, online ordering and e-commerce.
- Businesses using broadband will be able to offer their suppliers and partners more flexible ways of working, such as receiving CAD drawings or photographs by e-mail.
- Present your business in a positive light by using technology efficiently to improve internal efficiency and customer service.
- Set up virtual private networks (VPNs) linking branch offices and off-site workers, so improving communications and internal efficiency.
- Enable the upskilling of staff, through online learning and training, and assist them to achieve their full potential.
- Facilitate remote or home working to improve work/life balance thus producing more effective workers.
- use web cams to market the quality of your business, the products and processes.